No matter the system you use, there will always come a time when it is not operating. It’s important to have a system in place to help you quickly troubleshoot the issue and get back online. Find your system, make sure it is written down and your management staff is trained on it.
Checklist – Have a List of Items to Check
- Internet Connection- Do you have an internet signal? Are other internet systems still working? Do you have a backup internet connection?
- Power to Integral Hardware(modem, router, firewall, etc.): Is everything plugged in & turned on?
- Terminals- Is one terminal down or are all of them?
Who to Call – Have Contact Numbers & Extensions
- POS System Support
- Internet Service Provider
- Merchant / Credit Card Processor
- Offline Mode:
- POS companies offer an option allowing you to accept credit card payments while your internet is down. This simply stores transaction data until the internet is reconnected. Keep in mind, there are risks involved, with declined transactions or chargebacks for transactions while in Offline Mode.
- Internet Backup:
- Check with your internet provider or POS company on options that help keep you online, even when the internet is down.
- Mobile Options:
- Some credit card processors offer an additional option for mobile processing.